Linda Turner, Art Therapy NYC
I am a Licensed Art Therapist / Psychotherapist, Visual Artist and Designer with 20 years experience in working with adults, adolescents and children. Currently, in private practice, I provide individual Art Therapy in NYC, as well as run groups and facilitate arts based workshops. I also offer Art Therapy / Psychotherapy Supervision. To schedule an appointment or consultation: (917) 445-7587 or email.
Along with private practice, I am an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology, doing Career and Internship Counseling with students and alumni. Before becoming an Art Therapist, I had a long and wonderful career as a textile/home products designer. And have, and continue to be, a painter and mixed media artist (www.lindaturnerart.com)
After becoming an Art Therapist, and prior to private practice, I spent ten years at Catholic Charities working with adolescents and young adults. The first seven were as staff Art Therapist, one year as Program Manager and the last two as Clinical Supervisor. In these roles, I provided individual and groups supports for hundreds of adolescents, trained and supervised numerous graduate Art Therapy interns and administratively supervised a wide range of clinicians.
Concurrently, I worked four years at the Chinatown YMCA as staff Art Therapist with youth ranging from 5 - 14 yrs, and three years as an Artist-in-Residence with adult cancer patients at NY Presbyterian Hospital through The Creative Center. Additionally, I served for seven years on the board of the New York Coalition for Creative Arts Therapists (NYCCAT).
As a meaningful part of my commitment to the field of Art Therapy, I have VOLUNTEERED, and as well as provided pro bono workshops, to various organizations and for a wide range of organizations and populations including: Engendered Collective/DAME, Brevoort Community Center/CAMBA, Crime Victims Treatment Center (CVTC), Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority at , Housing+Solutions,/Phoenix Rising, MoMA, Children's Museum of Soho, Marquis Studios, Safe Safe Horizons Beacon Program, Many Hands Studios, Child Abuse Prevention Program, as well as volunteered with victims, and families of victims, after 9/11. Additionally I serve as a Secondary Emergency Responder for the NYC Medical Reserve Corp. If you are interested in a workshop, please email or call: 917-445-7587.
DEGREES AND TRAINING
- Masters Degree in Art Therapy, Pratt Institute
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Surface/Product Design, Fashion Institute of Technology
- Certificate, Integral Somatic Psychotherapy
- Coursework, IFS (Internal Family Systems), in training
- Core Coaches Training, Coaches Training Institute (CTI)
- Coursework, NY Voice Dialogue Institute
- Coursework, Poetry Therapy, The Creative Righting Center
- Coursework, Playback Theater/Psychodrama
- Study Various Fine Arts Modalities, School of Visual Arts, Art Students League , Tribeca Underground
- Licensed Creative Arts Therapist (LCAT) - NY State
- Board Certified (BC) / Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB) - National
- Registered Art Therapist (ATR) / Art Therapy Credential Board (ATCB) - National
- Member, American Art Therapy Association (AATA)
- Member, Past Board Member/Volunteer Chair, New York Coalition of Creative Arts Therapists (NYCCAT)
WORKSHOPS AND EVENTS- Past, Present and Future
- Create special occasion celebratory experiences to honor those we love - ourselves, friends, family members, for/with couples (i.e. Anniversaries, Birthdays, fun days, memorials) and creative events for groups and/or unique date experiences
- Co-create/co-facilitate workshops for women who are stuck in any area of their lives and support them in getting into action
- Co-create/co-facilitate workshops for single women looking to have breakthroughs in barriers to relationship
- Develop and implement arts based workshops and trainings; topics include community and team building, conflict resolution, behavior management, collaboration and healthy communication; can create one specifically for your group or organization
- Developed and facilitated singles/community events using art and creative play as a natural and easy way for individuals to connect
- Co-ordinated Special Events for the Expressive Therapies Summit
FOX News piece on Art Therapy
Art Therapy is a powerful and effective method for adults, adolescents and children.